Breaking: Peter Furler Leaving The Newsboys…Kind Of

March 10, 2009 by: Rodney

newsboys-peter-furlerOur good friends over at Savvy Media have confirmed the rumors that have been flying on the internet all weekend long about Peter Furler leaving the Newsboys. After 22 years and more than 2000 shows, newsboys frontman Peter Furler will no longer front the band in concert.

Michael Tait from DC Talk will be touring with the band as lead singer with Peter making special appearances throughout the year. Peter will also continue with the band through his trademark songwriting and production. This will remain in place as he focuses his professional career toward future Newsboys recordings.

Michael has been on the road with the band over the past weeks working alongside Peter in what has been a positive and enjoyable experience for both parties. It has been a graceful process that both Peter and Michael have worked through as they prepare to make the change in the coming weeks.

Peter states…

Newsboys to me has always been a mission, and I entrust Mike, Jeff, Jody and Duncan to continue all that is in store for us as a band. I’m looking forward to focusing on the band’s studio career and spending time in my own bed after many years in a tour bus and hundreds of thousands of miles on the road.

Wes Campbell, newsboys manager explains it this way…

While the decision to replace Peter on the road was a painstaking one, when the idea of dc Talk vocalist Michael Tait was presented it was a no-brainer to all of us. No one can replace Peter, but we know Michael will bring a new attitude, energy and vocal style that will thrill our audience. To be able to continue a world class show and still have Peter behind the scenes guiding the career and making of newsboys music is a huge opportunity for all of us. It’s amazing that after many years of touring with dc Talk in the 1990s that in 2009 our paths would cross once again. It’s an exciting time for all of us.

Michel Tait says…

For years, dc Talk and newsboys have been family and thus shared the same loyal and adoring fans. When I received the initial call from newsboys to consider joining the band as lead singer, I was speechless! I immediately sought wise counsel and flooded the heavens with endless prayers for insight and vision, and I soon received a clear and definite peace. Last weekend, I had the opportunity to perform my first show as newsboys’ frontman to an audience of 12,000 people. I was completely wrapped in love and support by newsboys’ fans, who are clearly the best fans on the planet. Now I know this is exactly where I belong in this new and wonderful moment in my life’s history. This is a definite highlight of my career and for my 20+ years of walking with Jesus, and I am humbled, proud and privileged to call myself a newsboy.

In the coming days Peter will be releasing a personal statement on the band’s website in more detail.

The band has finished recording their new studio project, “In The Hands Of God”, which features Peter as lead vocalist on it. Street date for this record is May 5th.

With five gold albums, sales exceeding six million units, more than 20 No.1 radio hits, and a mantle of Dove Awards as well as Grammy nominations, Newsboys has achieved phenomenal success in its two decades together. Known for its amazing live performances and groundbreaking tours, the band continues to sellout festivals and concerts worldwide, satisfying diehard fans and winning new ones in the process.

|  Filed under: Artist News  |  Tags:

Comments

48 Responses to “Breaking: Peter Furler Leaving The Newsboys…Kind Of”
  1. shawn says:

I love how Newsboys keep re-inventing themselves! never a dull moment!

2. randy says:

that is the dumbest thing ive heard of.
    hes only doing studios… so fans can buy him on cd but they get mike live?

that doesnt make sense just leave and mike take it all… thats less dumb…lol

3. Laura Anderson says:

We will miss Peter, but respect his decision to do what the Lord has led him to do. May God continue to bless the Newsboys. We stand behind you all on this, even though we are sad to see Peter go.

Welcome to Michael.

4. Kim says:

I am extemely sad by this news. The Lord has used the message that Peter has shared over and over in my life to break my ties to legalism and enjoy the freedom we have in Christ. My prayer is that his message will live on so that His Message will be shared in this dark world. May God continue to bless the work of the Newsboys!

5. Leslie Birk says:

I saw the Newsboys for the first time at Spirit West Coast, as a new believer, 3 years ago. I saw them every time I could , ever since. Last October I got to watch them from back satge at “Rock of Ages” in Calistoga. My daughters’. band opened the day on the main stage. What a thrill! If I had only known it would be the last time to see the band with Peter,I’d of taken more pictures!

Tonight I went to see the NewBoys again, this time with Michel Tait. Although it was a litle wierd at first, without Peter, Micheal did a great job. He was so humble and respectful. He has such a gift. Lets wish him well. He has a great heart and desire to reach the lost.

6. Jeannie Hood says:

How disappointing it was to go to see the Newsboys last night and to find out that Peter was no longer with the band was VERY sad and disappointing. My friend and I drove from Orange County, it was a birthday gift from her to me. Michael was great, but to me it just was not the same, of course it will not be from now on. I wish we would have known beforehand…could they not have replaced him with someone from Australia? The songs just are not the same. The Lord will of course continue to bless them all, I know…He is WHO it is for anyway, His glory! Unfortunately I will probably not go to another Newsboys concert again. Blessings

7. David says:

My fmily and I attended the Newsboys concert yesterday, March 23 in Redding,CA. I want to start by saying we love the Lord and are grateful to get bands such as Newsboys in Northern CA. Bread of Stone, Vota, and Decemberadio were great opening bands for Newsboys. The evening was a great worship service and since we are huge Christian music lovers we were not going to miss this concert. We saved up to see two Christian Concerts this year, Newsboys and Third Day next month! I know that when you spend a considerable amount of money to attend an event or concert, regardless of the reason, you expect to see what is advertised, which in this case it was booked as Peter being the lead singer. After the tickets were purchased, the press release from the Newboys came out. We even called the box office the day of the concert and they were under the impression Peter was likely going to be at the concert as well.
    As Christians we should still be able to voice our opinion about being misled, in fact we are called to do so. We thought Michael Tait did a great job, he has a fantastic voice…he just was not who we paid or expected to see as the lead singer for Newsboys. I don’t think anyone is putting Peter on a pedastal by expressing themselves as being disappointed. It simply means we have chosen to listen to him as the lead singer for this incredible band for many years.
    Like I mentioned earlier we saved up to watch two concerts this year and we have triple checked to make sure Mac Powell is still the lead singer for Third Day. God Bless.

8. Dan says:

Wow,
    I really bummed. We took our youth group in 1993 to stockton Ca. to see DC Talk and the Newsboys. I have there first US cd with all their autographs! The music over the years has inspired and even helped me through difficult times in ministry. I have been the youth pastor for over 13 years at my church and I will surely miss Peter. Thank you for all the years and all the concert’s and ministry!
    Sad in Sonora,
    Dan

9. paige cruz says:

wow
    everyone will miss peter. i respect his choice and may Jesus lead and use him for the rest of his life. it is heart breaking news. i saw the newsboys in person for the first time at new orleans, la. they had soo much energy!! I welcome mike with open arms and may Jesus lead him too. i love u peter and will miss u

now i say hello to mike

10. i have to say in response to the news of the newsboys that i was a little upset at first. after reading several articles online, i began to realize that peter is a human and humans get to the point of retirement. at least he will still be making guest appearances!!! also, michael seems to be a great guy for the job. he has a voice blessed by God. we need to support him as he takes this position. he prayed and the Lord led him. this is God’s will… we need to be christians and not criticize these guys who are men of God. we need to be like them and show the world love. Amen??? God Bless all you guys!!!!!

11. Ike says:

I saw them last night in London. Sorry, but Michael just didn’t cut it at all. I will not pay to see them again. He missed a lot of lines in songs, even some of the old DCtalk songs. Maybe he just had a bad night. The whole show seemed forced. So goodbye Newsboys, and I wish you well.

12. C.S. Gillam says:

I have to say, this is worst news than when John James left the band. I still don’t know what happened to him. Anyway, the Newsboys aren’t even the newsboys anymore. There’s not one original member in the band anymore. I’m all about doing what God has called you to do, but at least change the name of the band so I won’t feel let down.

13. moses1971 says:

Thank you, Peter, pure and simple. Hopefully the boys can ignore the wolves at the door (even in the messages above this one) crying about ticket refunds and so on. Blessings on you. Shalom.

14. Amanda says:

God bless you Peter! Thank you for your work in revolutionizing Christian music! Homage to you!

15. TERESA CHADWICK says:

I AM A HUGE “NEWSBOYS” FAN AND HAVE SEEN THEM 15 TIMES AND MET THEM ALMOST EVERYTIME…GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS. ALTHOUGH, I MUST ADMIT THAT PETER WAS THE NEWSBOYS! THE BAND WAS HIS. I LOVE MICHAEL TAITS VOICE AND FIND HIM EXTREMLY TALENTED…GOD TRULY HAS BLESSED HIM WITH HIS VOICE…BUT, HE IS NOT PETER AND WITHOUT PETER THERE IS NO “NEWSBOYS”. I WISH ALL OF THEM WELL AND I WAS EXCITED TO GO TO SEE THEM WITH JODY DAVIS BACK, I REALLY MISSED HIM. I WAS HOPING NOW THAT HE WAS BACK THAT PHIL WOULD COME BACK. OH WELL, THEY ALL MUST FOLLOW THEIR HEARTS AND LISTEN TO THE HOLY SPIRIT. MAY GOD BLESS ALL OF THEM IN WHATEVER THEY DO.

AS FAR AS SOME OF THE COMMENTS ABOVE…JUST WANT TO SAY TO RANDY, PETER COMMENT WAS HE WAS GOING TO CONTINUE TO WRITE AND PRODUCE FOR THE NEWSBOYS IN THE STUDIO. HE IS NOT THE TYPE OF PERSON TO TAKE ALL THE GLORY AND JUST LET MICHAEL GO ON THE ROAD WHILE HE GETS ALL THE CREDIT SINGING ON ALL THE ALBUMS. I DID NOT SEE ANYWHERE WHERE HE SAID HE WOULD BE SINGING ON THE FUTURE “NEWSBOYS” ALBUMS. IM JUST THANKFUL THAT HE GAVE US “ONE MORE” BEFORE HE HUNG IT UP.

PETER, YOU WILL TRULY BE MISSED BY MANY. MAY YOU AND SUMMER HAVE A WONDERFUL AND BLESSED FUTURE. SHE DESERVES TO HAVE YOU NOW. THANK YOU SUMMER FOR SHARING HIM WITH THE WORLD!

16. Amanda says:

I love the Newsboys and they have been a part of my life ever since my father started listening to them when i was about 8 (which pretty much gives away that im only a teen!).But i will truly miss hearing Peter on the Radio, but he will always be in my heart and on my ipod!:)God Bless Peter, his family and all the Newsboys members!

17. ANNETTE says:

i haven’t met the newsboys but i have always listen and love their songs. When God is calling us to do something we all need to be ready. Peter like i said i didn’t get a chance to meet you or the guys. May God Bless you and keep you safe . Love you.

18. Nory says:

I want Peter back!!!!!!…it’s not gonna be the same w/o him =[

19. BULLCRAP!!! Peter was stolen from us!!!!!! Someone betrayed him. newsboys4me4ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Mary says:

I will miss Peter Furler – when he sings I am Free – it makes me want to go to heaven where we will all truly be free from this sick world. I hope to be able to meet Peter one day. He is has an awesome talent – also I’m a sucker for that accent of his!

God Bless the Newsboys and Peter Furler – let’s all work together to snatch as many souls from satan as we can until the coming of our Lord – after all that is what it’s all about!

21. Brian says:

Have not really been a Newsboys fan in the past but must say I just saw them at KIngs Island and Michael Tate was incredible! He has such a presence on the stage, a powerful voice, and great faith. The crowd went crazy for him and the rest of the band. The best show by far of the week. The encore of Jesus Freak at the end was incredible! I must say that NOW I am a real BIG Newsboys fan!

22. Michele Donnelly says:

I’m very sad Peter is no longer the NewsBoys and after seeing them in concert this weekend with Mike as front man I can tell you that this is no longer the NewsBoys and I will not by any further albums and or attend any other concerts as I would like to remember them the way they were.

23. Andrea Weber says:

I saw Newsboys in concert last night at the Kingdom Bound festival in New York. It just wasn’t the same without Peter. Michael did a great job and the fans were excited but the whole concert and the fans had a different excitment and feel. I was shocked when they made the annoucement at the festival this past week because I was not expecting it at all. I think the only orginal is the drummer now in the band. It definitely won’t be the same anymore without Peter because he was like the heart and soul of the band. I have seen them in concert over the last 19 years at the Kingdom Bound festival and I honestly have to say that last night’s concert was not as good as it was in the best. It was different and kind of strange in a way. I’m glad though that Peter came out at least for one song and said good-bye to us. Well God bless the Newsboys. I’m not sure I’ll be a huge fan of them anymore but I still pray for God’s blessing on them. I always have enjoyed listening to them and their words in the songs were always so great too!

24. Jason Combs says:

I feel like bawling. Peter is The News Boys!!! I went to see them in Lincoln. He was not there. I want to see and hear “HIM”.

25. brian Lisas says:

to all those who got very disappointed to the changes, hope you will all remember that this is God’s will for the Band. so please accept it with an open heart and mind and still praise God that the band is still continuing their ministry that God has given them.

i believe that inspite of Peter not being the frontman anymore of Newboys, God will still work even more mightily through them as He had over the past decades of the band’s ministry.

More power to you Newsboys!

26. Mallory says:

Woo!!! Michael Tait rocks! Good luck fella!!!!
    Peter Furler is extremely talented but so is Michael. I think people have to be more accepting. My favorite bands always change their line-ups and I find it exciting to discover new and old talent! I will see them live next time they come to oz! :)

27. Annette S. says:

Peter, and the Newsboys, brought us to God with great messages and great music. I like fried chicken, but I like General Tsao chicken, too. The difference is the fla-vah. I like Peter, but who knows we might just find we enjoy a different flavor, too. :) ‘…Glory, Glory, He Reigns… ‘

28. Leedoggie says:

This is almost as bad of an idea as INXS still calling themselves INXS after hiring a different singer. Newsboys was the only Christian band that I could ever listen to. God has truly used this band to soften my hurt and bitter heart.

29. denise 3:16 says:

Like so many other people I hate the idea of Peter leaving the band to,but before we say anything lets give Michael a fair chance. Its not easy knowing you have some big shoes to fill.

30. Michael says:

God loves us all. So it is really unfair for some on this site to not give Michael a chance. He did a fantastic job yesterday at the Winter Jam here in Cincinnati. I am glad that Peter has been led by the Spirit of God to a different path. We embraced Michael and the Newsboys here and it was an amazing concert for a person who was my first concert ever. Great work by all the bands that played. We love you all and God bless you as you go to and fro. Be covered by the blood of Jesus Christ, and no weapons formed against you, is going to prosper!!

31. jordan says:

i agreee whith what Micheal says, it is great that he is letting the spirrit of God is guiding him it might be for the good. it might give the band a new twist in style

32. jordan says:

you know Toby Mack from DC. Talk is going to be there knew lead singer it isnt the same anymore i listened to one of there albams that are coming out june 8 2010 it is giving the band a DC.talk style more than a original News Boys style

33. CJ says:

Wow this is how I felt when Phil Joel left the group. Pretty sad. Now Peter?! It’s just not the Newsboys without them. I am glad I got to see the group in concert when both Phil and Peter were in it. I won’t be getting into the new stuff but I will enjoy my old Newsboys CDs.

BTW. I do like Mike when he was in DC Talk and I bought his solo album when it came out but I’d rather not have him REPLACE any of the Newsboys.

34. Muse says:

Also let us not forget it’s all about God no matter what man is up there singing. It’s about God. Not Peter, not Mike. Doesn’t matter if they put Ronald McDonald up there as long as he is glorifying God that’s all that matters. Don’t get caught up in a man or a band but the message.

35. joshuab says:

i like Tait with Dc Talk but and even more Peter with Newsboys but I don’t like this combination. I think they are two different styles. I love the newsboys, but this new group must create their own style. AND I’LL MISS THE CLASSIC NEWSBOYS.(plase sorry, my english is not good. i hope that you can understand me).

36. KEL says:

Summer….Enjoy your husband! Any musician/believer understands this time and season!
    Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!
    Peter….be refreshed! May your cup be filled to overflowing!!!! You’ve blessed us all….Thank you….It’s your turn to Rest….
    Relax. In Jesus name!

37. XAOC says:

This change does not flow well. The new album sounds more like DC Talk and Hip Hop than Newsboys. I like DC Talk, some of it anyway. I like Newsboys a lot more. They have in my opinion endeavored to glorify God more than any band out there. They have done this consistantly. Im not happy about this change. And I am not putting down Tait but this one is awkward and disappointing.

And a word to all you Kool Aide drinkers. God gave us a brain. God gave us personal preference. We dont all have the same favorite food do we? Not being happy about this change doesn’t make us bad. Ronald MC D is not a good choice either. His God given talent is making cheese burgers.

The talent that was given to Peter has been utilized to the fullest and I appreciate Peter’s obedience. He and the Newsboys have been a blessing since day one. He will be sadly missed.
    SHINE

38. roman says:

Who remembers when john james was the singer and peter played drums?! Now THAT was the newsboys!

39. Laura McCann says:

When I heard the new Newsboys song with Michael Tait singing lead I was so excited because it was something new & different sounding for the Newsboys I immediately looked on line to find out who was singing It was Michael Tait! So excited Bought the cd can’t wait to see them in concert!

40. I think you just make the point. I’d state this is just a good post that i maintained to find. I actually do wish that more people may have an opportunity to observe in this article and for sure they will find some good advantage of this.

41. Robert says:

hope Peter takes a little time off to get recharged and comes to his senses. It is not the “newsboys” without Peters lead vocals. Michael is a great singer but his vocal style and the newsboys style are like oil and water…they just don’t work together. Some things sound good on paper, or in your head, but don’t work in the real world. This is one of those cases.
    I don’t remember any of the apostiles retireing? Take so time off Peteer then come back stonger than ever.

42. Robert says:

No comment…just the word of God…

And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.
    Matthew 19

43. Dan says:

Sad to say, but i heard that the reason for Peter leaving is that He has a drinking problem and the band said enough is enough. If that is true, we need to hold Peter in our prayers.

44. Hi there, just became aware of your site via America online, and discovered that itís really informative. I’m going to look out for the city. Iíll be grateful should you continue this in future. Many people is going to be benefited from this post.

45. Arnold says:

I will be usually searching on the internet for suggestions to help me. Many thanks!

46. Nita Wolf says:

No one can sing it like Peter. So sad he’s leaving the Newsboys. They don’t sound right without him. May he follow God’s will for him.

47. sir says:

I know many people are sad that he left, but one can only go so long before needing a rest.
    I think peter has had that rest. I bought his solo album and he is better than ever. As for the newsboys, seasons come and go we must do as God calls us! (I know this God moved me 2000 miles for a new ministry, and I was happy where I was but we are where we are only for a season). Peter left with much prayer and Tait joined with the same amount.
    So if you don’t like tait with the newsboys (I liked peter a lot and I listen to what he has done more often) please don’t be discouraging to Tait he is doing a great job at serving the lord Rejoice!
    No I am not saying that criticism to help correct a problem with what someone is doing is wrong.
    But bashing someone because you don’t like their music style IS wrong. If you don’t have anything nice to say please don’t say it. If you disagree read first Corinthians and see how Paul talks about how we should not bicker at one another but rather uplift.

48. Cindy says:

Newsboys has had many different band members, and Peter certainly wasn’t their first lead singer. Have people forgotten John James? If you follow Newsboys from the beginning, you will see they have been an ever-changing group all along.