Shannon Setting The Record Straight On Engagement To Matt Thiessen

December 29, 2008 by: Rodney

relientkshannonThere has been a ton of discussion on our blog lately about why Shannon and Matt Thiessen from Relient K are no longer engaged. Now, Shannon is setting the record straight with this blog post…

So it’s almost 2009 … And for the first time, I’m really excited for the “clean slate.”

I’ll make this short (And as sweet as I can): For those of you who missed my announcement on the show a few days ago, I am no longer engaged. I called it off after learning a few things about Matt that I simply just could not handle. He’s a wonderful person with an amazingly huge heart, and I love him more than anything. But … No more wedding bells. I’m leaving it at that, and I hope you will, too. I need a lot of privacy, a lot of support and a lot of inspiration as I begin the “healing process.”

Right now, I’m in Michigan spending some much-needed time with my fabulous family and friends. There’s about 8 inches of snow on the ground already, and I think we’re getting a bunch more before Christmas. I love it. (And I love that I get to leave after the holidays and come back home to sunny, warm ATLANTA!!!) I’ve been sledding, watching movies, playing Apples to Apples, and … Cooking. No joke. I’m Miss Domestically Disabled, but somehow I’ve pulled off chocolate-covered pretzels, chicken pot pie, and a ridiculous number of cookies.

That’s all for now … More to come when I get back to work!

Happy Holidays!

Shannon

You can send Shannon your encouragment by posting your comments below.

|  Filed under: Artist News  |  Tags:

Comments

48 Responses to “Shannon Setting The Record Straight On Engagement To Matt Thiessen”
  1. Paige says:

wow i am so sorry about all this i guess eventually we will find out the truth.

2. William says:

Wow I am shocked as well as you hear so much and all of a sudden there is nothing and it is over. My heart goes out to their families and most of all both to Shannon and Matt. Somebody is upset somewhere.

3. genesis says:

O_O

i barley found out they where getting married last month

(call me late)

i was so excited for them

i hope they both find someone they can ACTUALLY marry now…

*sigh

4. sal says:

Oh i feel really sorry for you,
    but i trust your judgement that you thought through your decision and prayed that you have made the right choice.

5. Ann says:

Hmm. I wonder what happend. I find it heartbreaking!
    They were extremely adorable together! And all those songs he wrote for her!
    But I know God knows what Hes doing and I hope everything works out for them!
    Shannon and Matt I’ll be praying for you. Even though I’m sort of 6 months late.

6. chica says says:

They know that matt and shannon do pretty pair he is that they love each other very much I congratulate them she she is very pretty these I was well then among themselves all go well
    byeeeeeeeee

7. Stacey says:

At least we will get some really good Relient K songs out of this deal! I find it a little distasteful that she had to lay blame on Matt. She’s not totally innocent. I have seen some of her pictures posted on Myspace and I always thought it was odd she was dating a guy who plays Christian music.

8. annie says:

Shannon,
    Just a quick note. Sorry about the breakup. If it’s meant that y’all are to be together for
    the rest of your life, HE WILL put you back together and NOBODY will be able to separate
    you. Just PRAY about it and I will be too.
    GOOD LUCK!

9. Jon says:

Hey Shannon.

Stumbled upon this while looking up Rk’s latest album. I am SO sorry for what happened. I can’t imagine how it was like for you (and him).

But if there’s anything I learned from messy relationships I got myself into (and just life in general) it’s that God is always in control. Psalm 147:3 says that “He heals the brokenhearted And binds up their wounds,” and Psalm 34:18 says that “The LORD is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.” We’ll be praying for you. Best wishes. I know God has wonderful plans for you. God bless. :)

10. Brit says:

ok so i am so unbelievebly sorry for y’all you guys were together for like 3 years!!! but honestly i think it was not entirely his fault (i heard that he cheated ) and some times you just can’t trust what one person says you have to hear the other side first so honestly i just won’t judge you or matt and just know y’all are in my prayers.

11. Jenn F. says:

Just like a “rock star” to cheat. I bet he has a girlfriend in every city he tours to.

12. Leslie says:

That’s a really terrible thing to say about him having a girlfriend in every city. If you’ve heard the new CD it’s clear he’s going through a lot of pain. I don’t know how he sang “Must Have Done Something Right” when I saw them last night :o ( I’m sure the break up was hard on both of them, and I doubt only one person was at fault. Watch it with the finger pointing please.

13. Adam says:

I really hope this isn’t completely true. I look up to him and his music more than anything and well. . . if it’s true then I lost a huge role model. Regardless I am sorry for the loss on both sides and I hope you have both recovered a fair amount.

14. Rosie Radical says:

i, personally, love matt more than anyone should love someone they don’t know, and i refuse to believe he cheated.
    shannon said herself that he is a wonderful person with an amazingly huge heart, and maybe it’s just me but that doesn’t sound like something someone would say about someone who cheated.
    don’t blame matt.
    i saw relient k this past saturday in atlanta and a group of girls next to me was talking to me about the breakup, which is how i came to find this nice little forum here.
    it breaks my heart because i know it broke matt’s, and i know shannon must have been in a lot of pain too (and they probably both still are).

best of luck to the both of you!

and yes, i do know i’m way late.

15. Lindsey says:

I know it’s been said, but I find it hard to believe the rumors that Matt cheated. It would seem entirely inconsistent and impossible to have a totally different character in life than he does in his music. RK’s music has helped me out in so many rough times…
    But don’t let it be said that I’m laying blame on either of them. On the contrary, i’m heartbroked for each! It’s so sad that after such a long relationship, it could end just like that…
    Anyways, there’s my two cents; i know they’ve been spent by almost everyone else who’s commented : )
    Both of you are in my prayers!
    Even though I was a little slow on the uptake…;)

16. Geof says:

Regardless of who did what to whom, breaking off an engagement is hard, especially when you put a lot of thought and prayer and know you’re making the right decision for both parties involved. Having been through that before, I completely empathize and wish the best for both of them.

And Shannon (and Matt…if you read this) having gone through that, and now happily married on the other side, I just wanna say that it can happen! I know God has awesome things in store for both of you, and awesome people to do them with.

Just be patient. He’s got it all under control. It’s all good in tha hood!!! :)

17. Geof says:

Oh…and to anyone making a big deal about the “He cheated?!?! NOOOO!!!” thing. Junk happens, people make mistakes, and they deal with consequences. I know from personal experience (as does everyone).

Regardless of what he did (or didn’t do) it shouldn’t have an effect on how you perceive the person and accept/not-accept their music. It doesn’t make them any less of a Christian or good role model. It shows that they really are human, with flaws, and shows God’s grace in ways more amazingly than we can comprehend. I don’t condone any wrong behavior or misdeeds, but if someone performs them, then I accept them with open arms, as Jesus would. No matter what.

I know i made up a word up there. It’s kinda my thing. lol

18. Ryan says:

I totally agree with what Geof said. I’ll always look up to Matt Thiessen as an awesome rolemodel no matter what the case. if he cheated on her than im disappointed but i understand. we all sin. what matters is that he’s sorry and repentant (if he did cheat).. and i defenately believe he is by the sound of the new album =)

19. Jammers says:

Yeah, they obviously didn’t belong together. Whoever posted the thing about pictures of her seeming very UnChristian was right. You should see the pictures on her new radio website…they had some party called “I don’t” and the cupcakes had F*CK U and F*CKER on them. Really nice. Note to Shannon: Profanity isnt’ pretty. Maybe you should watch your trash mouth if you’re so worried about being alone forever. Most (respectable) guys don’t want a trash mouth ;P

20. Gal-lily says:

Well…in lets see, 86% of his songs, he does sound immature alot of the time. I was hanging on to him by a thread (Relient K’s music) but his new album just nailed the coffin for me. A break up album? Hasn’t he done at least 3 of these already? No wonder the band has such a high turnover rate. Seems like he’s always singing about breaking up or being an idiot…growwwwww up, please. I’m not spending money to hear him whine for an hour and a half, oh no. I wouldn’t comment on this if he didn’t put it out there…on all his albums, my goodness. Keep your business at home man, because when you open the door, ….When he grows up, I’ll be first in line to buy that album, trust.

And this chick Shannon. Loser much? Ever heard of keeping it secret, keeping it safe? Lol, she really needs to voluntarily eat her words, because I’m sure if we all had the magnifying glass on us, we might learn a few things about all of us that we just can’t handle…psshaww. Immature kiddy drama, and I’m so done supporting this. Peace

21. Samantha says:

MATT CHEATED ON SHANNON. IT HURT THEM BOTH AND THAT IS WHY THEY BROKE UP & ITS A DAMN GOOD REASON!
    Leave it alone and stop bad mouthing Shannon, because you dont even know her & I DO!

22. Leslie says:

Omg. I lub Matt Thiessen and I can’t believe u did dis 2 him shonnon. I can’tsay I hate u cuz i’m christian, but I still don’t like u! Don’t worry matt !!!! I’m gonna see u this december 2009 for ur christmas concert. I lub u!!!!!:) It’s ok shannon, maybe you’ll find the right way with god, or maybe you’ll find someone else with a dirty mouth. Matt really wasn,t 4 u…

23. Laura says:

Hey Shannon!
    Sorry to hear about everything, and I wish I could offer you deeper or less painful advice, but I’ll do my best by saying only time and God can heal.
    Love,
    Laura :)

24. brenda says:

my friend leslie luvz matt thiessen even though she doesnt know him and i think that he is kinda cute to

25. Seth Jeffery says:

Give them a break! They broke up, who are we to victimize or elevate? When you don’t know someone it’s easy to fill in the gaps of their character optimistically or pessimistically. I can think of plenty of reasons for a perfectly good couple to break up, both good and bad. Whatever the reason for it, it’s not for us to know as it’s their decision, let them get on with their lives. I would find it hard enough to deal with if I wasn’t famous and didn’t have every person bringing it up, let alone if I was.

26. Eleanor says:

Leave these poor people alone! It’s nobody’s but Matt and Shannon’s business… ugh, rumours and gossip are awful, I know this to be true. If you don’t know anything… don’t spread anything around.

27. Becky says:

Gracious… Some of you should be ashamed of yourself bad mouthing either of them especially Shannon. Just because some you are teeny bopping stalkers who can’t stand to see the person they idolize sin and make a mistake. Profanity isn’t pretty and neither is pain or pointing fingers. Just drop it. Good Luck to both!

28. Valerie says:

it was because matt couldn’t keep it in his pants, with girls all over the US.

29. KTbelle says:

Ok I don’t think the phrase “can’t keep it in his pants” is fair. We don’t know about how often he cheated. If you listen to the new relient k you’ll notice that’s not the problem. Matt T is a great guy but human just like everyone else. I only met her once but to be honest i didn’t feel overwhelmingly like this was the girl 4 him. Plus now she bashes him on the radio constantly! I listen sometimes online and the latest is her talking about his new serious girlfriend!!!! I wonder who it is…anyone?!?

30. LieselH says:

I found matt t’s girlfriends Twitter on a reply on this site; it’s kelly_connolly. You have to follow her to see her tweets but sometimes she will twitpic a photo of matt or with him. They live in Nashville, tn and it’s hard to tell how long they’ve been together, but yes that is true!

31. Chris Laird says:

“she is the lady i’m the tramp”

32. Leah says:

Whatever happened happened. This isn’t even our business. But in defense of Matt and Shannon, only God knows and only God can judge.

How can we sit here, pointing fingers, when our own hands aren’t clean? Making immature jokes at Matt’s expense and calling Shannon by derogatory names does nothing to benefit anyone. Let’s be honest. Does anyone on this page actually know either Matt or Shannon? Most likely, no.

If you want to help either Matt or Shannon heal, pray for them. Because although we are strangers, God knows each of them better than their closest friends. No matter what went down, no sin is unforgivable. AND- nobody is without sin.

33. rebecca says:

i’ve given up on acting like i’m perfect,
    i advise you all to do the same
    perfections rare and so the last time i checked
    we;ve all been introduced to feeling shame.

34. Samantha says:

Ok you guys are all crazy!
    I don’t know Shannon personally, but I listen to her on the radio!

He cheated on her, she has a right to be upset. But last I checked she has a boyfriend now too so why is everyone still talking about this?

She’s happy and I’m happy for her!
    Love ya Shannon!

35. Richard says:

Honestly, I love Matt. I have met him once, and he seems like an amazing guy. He is my role model, not only because of his music, but because of his outstanding character. Maybe he did cheat on him. Maybe he didn’t. But, why would a guy write an entire album about her dumping him for NO reason, and then it be found out that he cheated? I don’t think he did. He doesn’t have a gf in every city. He doesn’t use profanity. He isn’t a mean guy. Like you said Shannon, he has a huge heart. But, he isn’t the guy for you. I mean come on. I listened to some of your sound clips, and marrying a Christian guy when your radio show is one full of profanity and pointing fingers? Come on. He’s better than that. I still love Matt, and I think he still loves you. So, stop blaming people, and quit making him seem like the bad guy.

36. Cynthia says:

This explains Relient K’s latest album…. forget and not slow down. In case you haven’t heard it… every single song portrays Matthew Thiessen’s heartbreak.

37. man boobs says:

[...] Every once in a while we choose blogs that we read. Listed below are the latest sites that we choose [...]…

38. People are flawed. Both Matt and Shannon. But God bless you both. We are all doomed to fail and fail again, but through Jesus we have grace. Again, may God bless you both. Quite frankly, I’d rather forget and not slow down.

39. Super story indeed. My boss has been looking for this content.

40. tapping eft says:

Hey that you a great deal to the article, it had been fairly and educational examine! I am going to be back again later on for certain.

41. raphael says:

Gosh…
    Relient K is off my playlists now :) JK….
    But its shocking…Ugh got to get it out of my head…
    I can’t help feeling this but… now my favourite singer is Adam Young, Matt went down a few places :P

42. Hey excellent weblog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Incredible .. I will save your site and take the feeds alsoÖ Awsome website! Iím caring this!! Will be back later to read some more. I am taking your rss feeds additionally Simply saying thanks won’t only be sufficient, for the tremendous lucidity inside your composing. I’ll immediately get your own feed to remain up to date with any improvements.

43. alajandrew says:

Just had to comment, even tho I’m way late & no one may ever read this…
    Anyone, even a committed Christian, may “cheat”. It is always a temptation, especially for guys, methinks. However, I’ve researched this to death, & believe that Matt really was in love with Shannon, but eventually listened to God/his conscience/whatever & decided that Shannon wasn’t someone he should marry. It’s possible he was still willing to go ahead with the wedding, but Shannon found out he didn’t think she was best for him, & broke it off.
    Anyway, I have a particular dislike for the phrase “God doesn’t want us to be together”, & believe it is often used when 1 partner decides they could do better, or is already onto someone else, so I can sympathize w/Shannon. However, I will not doubt that Matt did the right thing.

44. Rachelle says:

^^^
    I agree completely. I think she probably got fed up with his success of sorts. He just doesn’t seem like the guy that would flat out “cheat”, not that any cheating isn’t cheating. I just think maybe she misunderstood a situation that she took as “cheating” or being “unfaithful”. Just curious as to the circumstances as everyone else. Happy it happened before them getting married. Hope he finds “the one he is waiting for” as he so beautifully writes. <3 God bless!

45. Natasha says:

She could have been the one that cheated and just want people to feel sorry for her.

46. Vera says:

For newest information you have to go to see web and on world-wide-web I found this website as a most excellent web site for hottest updates.

my web blog: keeping fishes – Vera -