Bon Jovi: You’re Giving My Music A Bad Name

October 18, 2008 by: Rodney

Jon Bon Jovi has released a statement to tmz.com about Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Paling using his band’s song — “Who Says You Can’t Go Home” — during her rallies this week. Well, Jon didn’t give his approval so I’m wondering if this was an illegal download? I think the RIAA and the music business should do a full investigation to see if the McCain camp paid the royalties to use their song. Here’s what Jon had to say…

We are surprised to hear that our song, ‘Who Says You Can’t Go Home’ was used by the MCCAIN campaign at rallies yesterday and today. We wrote this song as a thank you to those who have supported us over the past twenty-five years. The song has since become a banner for our home state of NEW JERSEY and the defacto theme song for our partnerships around the country to build homes and rebuild communities. Although we have not asked, we do not approve of their use of ‘Home.’

|  Filed under: Artist News  |  Tags:

Comments

9 Responses to “Bon Jovi: You’re Giving My Music A Bad Name”
  1. Scott says:

They did the same thing with Anne and Nancy Wilson of Heart a few weeks ago.

While I don’t believe that have to ask permission, they will have to pay ASCAP/BMI royalties. Which the artist is free to do with as they please…

2. Heather M. says:

Seriously!?!?! “A full investigation”??? I’m sorry but I think political campaigns have been using pop music at rallies since time began and I don’t understand why anyone would assume that the McCain camp didn’t pay the due royalties? Just because they didn’t call Jon and personally ask permission to use the song in the form of an endorsement doesn’t mean they didn’t pay like any other national campaign would do. I’m pretty sure that the artist isn’t informed every time someone wants to pay royalties to use their music. And on a sadder note, I really like Bon Jovi music. I wanted to keep my delusions that not EVERYONE in the entertainment biz is stereotypical when it comes to politics.

3. Scott says:

Heather, I think Rodney’s being a bit sarcastic about the full investigation.

Music and politics go together like oil and vinegar dressing. They’re good together, they want to be together, but, alas, things get in the way.

4. John Jones says:

Wow dude that is like Major cool!

5. romina says:

Hmmm, I am tempted to try this.

6. Nice post man i just signed up to flickr to!

7. profdragon says: