Relient K’s Matt Thiessen Has Found “The Best Thing” A Wife

August 7, 2008 by: Rodney

After more than three years of dating, Matt Thiessen has popped the BIG question to Shannon Murphy of Atlanta, GA. She said “yes” and they plan on getting married August 22nd, 2009. They met while the boys from Releint K where on a mainstream radio tour and they stopped by The Morning Mess where Shannon is the co-host. We got the scoop from Shannon on how Matt pulled off the big surprise.

Yup, my left ring finger is officially “weighed down,” as he likes to say. The ring is beautiful. And I’m ridiculously happy and excited.

A ton of people who didn’t hear Matt and I explain the story of the proposal on the air wanted to be filled in, so let me set the scene:

It’s Tuesday, June 17th. Matt was SUPPOSED to be on a tour bus, traveling with the rest of the Relient K boys out to California to begin the Vans Warped Tour. However, he totally tricked me, and instead of getting on the bus with the rest of the band the previous night, he got a few hours of sleep, woke up early in the morning, and drove from Nashville (Where he’d been rehearsing for the past week) down to Atlanta.

The afternoon started with Matt surprising me at the radio station. (Being the dork I am, I started squealing. Literally.) We then headed to lunch at one of my favorite restaurants in the city (Bones!), where, consequently, I had an allergic reaction to something I ate. Go figure. My lips looked like little balloons. Pretty awful. (To get an idea of how ridiculous I looked, check out the pic!)

We started to head to the ER at Piedmont Hospital, but decided to just turn around and go home after my Mom called and suggested that I take some meds and let myself pass out for a few hours. But Matt had other plans. As soon as we pulled into the garage, he asked me if I wanted to play a game of Foosball. That’s when I knew. We have an inside joke about this: A few years ago, Matt hid a silver Tiffany’s ring in the table, which I conveniently found in the ball return after he scored. Since that day, I’ve always joked about wanting to play Foosball just so that I could “find my engagement ring.” So … He made the first successful shot yesterday afternoon, and I reached in to find … The ring.

He got down on one knee. And I said YES!

Pretty cute story, huh?!

Congratulations Matt & Shannon we pray God’s richest blessings on your life together. To learn more about the future Mrs. Thiessen and follow the wedding plans here is her stations weblog.

|  Filed under: Artist News  |  Tags:

Comments

167 Responses to “Relient K’s Matt Thiessen Has Found “The Best Thing” A Wife”
  1. lin says:

i think spankys right he’s been lookin bad since that kelly was hangin around she looked like a reel stoner and al her pictures she was in a bar now that hes dumped her hel do better im gonna pray for him

2. RJ says:

I agree with Spanky. But also, lin seeing how Kelly is what? 23? and Matt is 30 I highly doubt she was his influence on smoking weed.And if so, that’s pretty pathetic on thiessen’s part! He has been doing that for a while now anyway. Everyone knows he got a DUI last year around this time too. I agree with Spanky he is a has been and he probably finally knows it, thus the trigger for all the drugs/weight loss/other failures. It’s not the girl, it’s him. To say he is going to be all role model-esque again because he is no longer with his girlfriend is just typical RK fan wishful thinking. If anything, I bet he was a bad influence on her not the other way around,

what a shame tho.

3. Joe says:

Yeah. That is pretty pathetic. I hope nobody ever listens to Reliant K again. Shame on Matt for cheating on Shannon and leading her into a live of promiscuity. She sleeps with her current boyfriend, whom she calls “Orlando Bloom”. Personally, I don’t think he looks like Orlando Bloom at all. He looks more like Bob Saget.. Oh well.

4. hilo says:

You all keep claiming it’s a “known” fact that he has: a DUI, sleeps around, smokes weed, does who knows what other drugs….CAN ANYBODY GIVE LINKS OR SOMETHING TO BACK UP YOUR CLAIMS? I would just like some kind of evidence. Thanks.

5. dundunduuuun says:

People can talk all they want but until you’re in the situation you don’t understand…

I have been a cheater, i have also been cheated on
    I have slept with someone
    I have lived with a boyfriend before
    I have taken drugs

and guess what, i am christian
    Just to make it clear… i am NOT proud of what i have done.at.all. I have certainly had my own struggles with my faith

Common, people make mistakes. It’s easy and human nature to judge someone on something that you haven’t yet done yourself.

When i was younger i remember saying “i don’t know how people cheat, it’s disgusting” – which it is! but i still did it…. I said the same about drugs….. and i tried them too.

Nowadays i try my best to avoid all these situations. I believe whoever you surround yourself with reflects the way you act. I’m not saying don’t hang out with non believers either, my best friends aren’t christian – and a lot of them still take drugs etc… i just choose not to spend time with them when they are doing that stuff now…

Matt is in the music industry – whether it’s christian or secular, It’s obvious that the ladies like him! And i’m sure drugs will be on offer whether he’s a christian guy or not. The temptation will always be there. Unfortunately for him, he fell into that temptation. I’m sure after what has happened he has learned his lesson. Either that or he is going to keep doing it… Hopefully one day he will make the right choices. Pray for him :)

In the meantime, him and his band should not be judged for what he has done. Music is obviously his outlet to his problems, I really like RK and i don’t think anyone that makes mistakes or lives their lives a certain way should step down from doing what they love (as stated by someone earlier)

Him and his ex’s have their own way of dealing with their breakups – and that’s fine. I’m sure Shannon was just as upset with him writing an album about her as he was with her talking about it on her radio show. It’s their jobs, it’s how they dealt with it as individuals… and that’s it. No break up is easy.

As for Kelly, who cares who she is/what she does/if she posts on here or not/if she was the girl Matt cheated on Shannon with/if her and Matt are together or not…………

Everyone is treating these guys like their A-list celebs haha.. it’s pretty funny. They are just normal people going through normal circumstances.

Anyway to end my novel, don’t judge these guys. Let them do what they do and have success in what they do. woop woop! Praise the Lord!

6. Joe says:

You obviously missed the point. Matt is “supposedly” in a “Christian band”. He has caused somebody to stumble, yet he continues to play the role of Christian. Quit throwing in the “don’t judge me” argument. That holds no weight. Especially considering what the Bible says about Christian leaders causing others to fall.

Dun, your situation is very different. You have supposedly repented. Matt has not.

7. Tony says:

He’s not causing christians to stumble. First of all the only person who can be the judge of him is God. We are all self medicated in some way and for you to say that because he likes to go out and have a few drinks and smokes weed sometimes that he cant call him self a Christian just kinda shows your self righteousness and shows how misunderstood God is. Yeah he had a DUI. But no ones perfect. Jesus drank wine and I Guarantee you “don’t drink in excess” does not mean they didn’t get a lil drunk sometimes. And weed is something God clearly made. Has many uses some medical, some therapeutic, and some recreational. “And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.”
    He is staying true to his belief and just because he likes to have a good time sometimes doesn’t mean he doesn’t love God. If he can have a good time and not stumble in his Faith then he isn’t putting anything before the Lord. Who are we to judge?

8. kat says:

matt has a new girl, who looks like she’s a wannabe musician with him for all the wrong reasons

9. hi!,I like your writing very so much! proportion we keep in touch extra about your article on AOL? I need a specialist on this house to resolve my problem. Maybe that is you! Looking ahead to peer you.

10. Normally I don’t learn article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to check out and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, quite great article.

11. I’ve been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or weblog posts on this sort of space . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website. Studying this information So i’m satisfied to show that I’ve a very excellent uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. I such a lot definitely will make certain to do not fail to remember this website and give it a glance regularly.

12. pinoy portal says:

You could definitely see your enthusiasm in the work you write. The sector hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

13. hello!,I like your writing so so much! percentage we keep in touch more about your article on AOL? I need a specialist in this house to unravel my problem. Maybe that is you! Looking ahead to look you.

14. Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specifically the last part :) I maintain such information a lot. I used to be looking for this particular info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

15. Yo says:

You all act like you’ve never caused anyone to stumble. Look at all the Christians gossiping on here about things they can’t even prove. Way to kick someone when he’s down, don’t you know David was an adultery? And a murderer…yet we all wanna, “dance” like David, but god forbid we listen to music by Thiessen.

Just because you should pray for people doesn’t mean you should yap about them.

16. Reinhart says:

Matt Thiessen never used drugs as far as I’m concerned. You also have no right for saying this bad things about him. And I guess everyone who’s ever heard of Reient K or being thus so specific on actually knowing who Matt Thiessen is must most likely be a Christian. So act like one!! Matt Thiessen is one of my personal Heroes/Role Models. The man plays a mean guitar, BEAUTIFUL piano and damn… His singing is legend!! Sure, he’s made mistakes. BUT WHO DOESN’T?!?! He probabbly had a very good reason for breaking up her (or the other way around) He does what he does to praise the Lord with his talents. Give him a break. Plus I think it’s a little long to still hold grudges. This was about 3 years ago?

17. Reinhart says:

Matt Thiessen never used drugs as far as I’m concerned. You also have no right for saying this bad things about him. And I guess everyone who’s ever heard of Reient K or being thus so specific on actually knowing who Matt Thiessen is must most likely be a Christian. So act like one!! Matt Thiessen is one of my personal Heroes/Role Models. The man plays a mean guitar, BEAUTIFUL piano and damn… His singing is legend!! Sure, he’s made mistakes. BUT WHO DOESN’T?!?! He probabbly had a very good reason for breaking up with her (or the other way around) He does what he does to praise the Lord with his talents. Give him a break. Plus I think it’s a little long to still hold grudges. This was about 3 years ago?